Saturday, August 14, 2010

Tears and a Smile


Monday was my dad's birthday.  I tried to blog about it, but nothing I typed was good enough.  I couldn't use my words to let you know what I was really feeling.  I made a peach pie, and ate it with family in his honor.  Why peach pie, you ask?  Because that is what my dad preferred for his birthday since he was little.  I even put his initials and the age he would have been in the crust.  Yes, dorky.  But that is a style perfected by both me and my father.  

Today is the 5 year anniversary of his death.  Again, there is nothing I can type that could possibly portray the love I have for my father, and the loss I feel.  I can't help you to know him by writing about him.  He was SO much bigger than a blog post.  And there were too many amazing things about him for me to list just a few.  

I know if he was alive he would be out of his mind excited about more grandchildren.  But I honestly can't even type this right now without  my eyes welling up with tears.  And then I just feel like the words I type do him no justice.  

So I leave you with an email I received from my father in law today.  Who along with my stepdad Ray, has done an amazing job showing me a father's love since I lost my dad to cancer.  

My father in law never met my dad.  He never knew him.  He only knows him now through me.  And this email put so many things into perspective for me that I just broke down crying.  I couldn't even email him back, because again, my typed words just don't do justice to what my heart is feeling.  So I hope in reading this blog (which he does religiously) he will know how much I appreciate his words, and appreciate him.  

Here is what he wrote to me:

Thinking about your children and My grandkids in Ethiopia and wondering how love is unexplainable. How can you and David love these kids without knowing where they are, what they look like ect. But I know that you love them with all your heart and they love you. Just because you are not together does not mean you love them any more or any less. Love is just different. I know( don't ask me how I know ) even though your Dad is not physically here with you he loves you just as much as you love your kids who you can't be physically with at the moment. I kow he loves you and is so proud of you. I think I do know. People die but love never dies. You are his daughter and a Fathers love for his daughter never dies. I know this because I have Two little girls. I also know no matter how old my daughters are they will always be my little girls. You and Amie my two little girls, my daughters who are different but my love for you is a love that a father has for his little girl and that will never die. Your Dads love is just as real as your love is for your kids.
Just wanted to tell you your Moms and Dads love You.


 

6 comments:

Jenny said...

oh, tears... i am so sorry for your loss. i cannot even begin to imagine life without my father. yours sounds like such a special man. your f-i-l sounds like a great man as well. praying for you this week!

Katie said...

Oh Dad Stefanich. Now I am all crying and overwhelmed from the garage sale. Your dad had a hand in that sale today. It's sounds ridiculous, but I just know he did. I see him in Eddie--and not just because of looks; because of love--and I know it's weird, but I KNOW I will see him ALL of your kids too...no matter where they are from. Love you.

Cortney said...

Well put Sis & Dad Stefanich. Well put. He would have been proud today, that's for sure!

Anonymous said...

crying like a baby... you are right Kenzie, there are not words. I love you beyond measure and am so thankful that you have been blessed with a father-in-law such a this. Praise God.

Trisha V. said...

For not having the words, you did such a great job. All of you Sluiter's have done such a great job bringing a little slice of Steve back to us!

Thank you for posting and thanks for sharing the email. I WISH I had someone to write words like that to me. That is a gift for sure!

Gabrielle said...

This is such a nice email! Definitely brought tears to my eyes. I think it's awesome you celebrate your Dad's life with peach pie!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers